DOS/Windows sequence software?

Andy Bates bates at liv.ac.uk
Fri Jan 5 05:19:49 EST 1996

Sorry if this is a common request.  I'm looking for some software to
help teach students the delights of DNA (and protein) sequence
analysis.  It needs to be:

1.  DOS/Windows
2.  free
3.  able to find restriction sites and search for short strings with
mismatches/gaps
4.  able to find ORFs and translate them
5.  hopefully able to give some details of the hypothetical proteins,
e.g. mol wt., amino acid composition.

We currently use a simple menu-based DOS program call 'Mount & Conrad',
which does all these things, but is not very colourful or flashy.  I'm
afraid this is a case where style may need to outweigh substance to
some extent!!

Any thoughts?  Thanks a lot,

Andy Bates.
Dr. Andrew D. Bates             Tel:   (+44) (0)151 794 4322
Department of Biochemistry      Fax:   (+44) (0)151 794 4349
University of Liverpool         Email: bates at liv.ac.uk
PO Box 147
Liverpool
L69 3BX, UK