Problems with silver staining

NEIL.ROSS at NRC.CA NEIL.ROSS at NRC.CA
Tue Jan 16 08:32:30 EST 1996

Two years ago when I was developing a silver stain method (Electrophoresis
(1995) 16, p948-951, !!shameless self-promotion!!), I substituted an old
bottle of hydrated sodium carbonate for anhydrous sodium carbonate (which I
usually use) in the development step and lost all of the staining. I could
restain the gel after washing and restaining (using anhyd. Na2CO3). I still
have no idea why this happened (pH change??), but your increase in staining
time triggered the memory valve. I hope this helps.

Neil W. Ross, Ph.D.
National Research Council Canada
Institute for Marine Biosciences
1411 Oxford St., Halifax, NS  B3H 3Z1
(902)426-8402     FAX (902) 426-9413
Email: ROSSN at imb.lan.nrc.ca
FORWARDED FROM: Ross, Neil W.
To: proteins at net.bio.net
From: at332 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Matt Parker)
Subject: Problems with silver staining
Sender: at332 at freenet2.carleton.ca (Matt Parker)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 22:44:21 GMT

        Hi! We use the BioRad Silver Stain Plus kit, and lately we've been
having some problems with it. When we add the sodium carbonate to the
staining solution, it forms a white precipitate, which eventually goes
away with stirring. That isn't the real problem, however: the staining is
taking at least 2 or 3 times longer than it used to.

        Has anybody got any advice?

        Thanks,

        Matthew Parker