soluble protein expression in E. coli

D. Hodges dh124 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 18 03:21:39 EST 1996

Saverio Brogna (Genetics) (sb at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk) wrote:
: Dear someone,
: I have expressed e protein in E. coli with differents systems (His-tag,
: Glutation-transferase fusion and wild-type) but I can not get it soluble.
: DO YOU KNOW HOW TO EXPRESS PROTEINS IN A WAY THAT SOME IS SOLUBLE?

: Thanks
: --
: Saverio Brogna
: University of Cambridge, Departement of Genetics
: Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3EH, England (UK)
: tel +44-223-333970, fax +44-223-333992

You might like to try one of the systems that direct expression to the
periplasm. I have used pASK-60 from Biometra which worked OK. Then there's
pET12a which should do the same.

Alternatively you could have a go at refolding it, but it can take a while
to get the conditions right.

Debbie