APMSF

Dana Shima orangeco at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 19 05:47:27 EST 1996

In <4dmhgp$ndd at newsbf02.news.aol.com> qualichem at aol.com (QUALICHEM)
writes:

>ANYBODY HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE/SUCCESS WITH A PROTEASE INHIBITOR CALLED
>APMSF? WHERE DO YOU GET IT, HOW MUCH DO YOU USE, ETC. THANKS

Well, I haven't used APMSF but I've used PMSF for several buffers in
various immunoassays.  Exceedingly nasty stuff.  One very potent
neurotoxin with a very small ED50 rating.  Wear a triple set of gloves
and get that respirator mask on.  I do remember reading some add a
couple of years ago about a safe (but several times more expensive)
replacement for PMSF.  Perhaps this is it.  Some company (Calbiochem or
perhaps Boehringer-Mannheim?) put out a protease inhibitor guide that
they would send to you upon request which listed both PMSF and it's
safer alternative.

Dana Shima
Corning Nichols Institute - Polypeptide Laboratory
San Juan Capistrano, CA