Zinc Binding Motif - AAA vs. UV/Vis

Michael S Curtis curtis at watson.bms.com
Mon Jan 22 08:43:00 EST 1996

I have been working on the physical characterization of a zinc binding domain
and have seen something curious. To get an accurate protein concentration I
have been using amino acid analysis (AAA). To make protein concentration
determinations a little quicker I wanted to use the protein concentration
determined by AAA and using A280 measurement with Beer's Law get an
experimentally determined extinction coefficient. When I compare the
experimentally determined extinction coefficient with a theorhetical
coefficient (Gill and von Hippel, Anal. Biochem., 182, 319-326), the
experimentally determined coefficient is approximately three times the
theorehtical. Gill and von Hippel show that in the worst case they were seeing
a 43% deviation between experimentally and theorehtically determined
extinction coefficients; average was about 10%, I am seeing significatnly
larger. I'm thinking that the zinc binding with the domain is somehow
effecting the A280 absorbance. I know zinc itself does not absorb
significantly at 280, but I'm wondering is the zinc binding to its ligands is
somehow effecting their abosorption. I am very comfortable with the accuracy
of the AAA and A280 measurment. Any insight or ideas on why there may be such
a great difference in the theorehtically determined extinction coefficient and
the experimentally determined coeffiecient would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Curtis
curtis at bms.com