Post-Doc Positions in Protein Engineering, Seattle, WA

Paul Carlson pcarlson at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 24 16:30:37 EST 1996

Applications are invited for three postdoctoral positions in
our multidisciplinary group to help develop exciting new
smart polymer-engineered protein conjugates for biotechnology
applications.

We have recently reported a new concept on the conjugation of
"smart" polymers to specific, genetically engineered sites on
proteins (Nature, 378, 472-474, (1995)) that is opening up
new directions in molecular biotechnology, e.g., in
bioseparations, diagnostics, drug delivery, biosensors,
biocompatibility, cell culture and enzyme bioprocesses.  We
are seeking researchers who are interested in working at an
interdisciplinary interface that includes interactions
between polymer synthesis, synthesis of "smart" surfaces,
genetic engineering of proteins, biophysics, and enzymology.
Our laboratories are extremely well-equipped with extensive
facilities for polymer synthesis and characterization,
protein engineering and purification, biophysical and
biochemical characterization, etc.

Three positions are available immediately in the following
areas:
    (1) polymer synthesis, purification and characterization,
        especially coupled with lab experience with proteins
        and protein chemistry
    (2) surface modification and characterization, especially
        coupled with lab experience in protein immobilization
        and/or polymer-protein conjugation chemistry
    (3) protein engineering, especially joint lab experience
        in molecular biology and enzymology, biophysics,
        and/or protein chemistry.

Candidates are asked to supply a CV (resume) and a brief
description of their research experience to either:

   Professor Allan Hoffman or Professor Patrick Stayton,
   Center for Bioengineering,
   Box 357962,
   University of Washington,
   Seattle WA 98195.

Alternatively, applications can be sent to
stayton at bioeng.washington.edu.