PKC activation without micelles?

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Jan 25 04:03:46 EST 1996

Hello,

I wonder whether it is possible to activate PKC in vitro without having
to add lipid micelles (i.e. PS) in order to phosphorylate a protein
substrate. I have made some tests with peptides, and it seems that
the peptides indeed get phosphorylated without the PS (we use brain
lipids), but the activity of the PKC is only about 50% of the activity
with PS. I have also tried to solubilize the lipids with detergent
(0.05% cholate), but the cholate seems to inhibit the PKC.

Thanks for any help.

--Cornelius.