Restriction proteases?

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Fri Jan 26 10:09:09 EST 1996

We look for the most specific way to cleave a GST fusion protein. Currently
we use a Thrombin "restriction" site which works fine, unfortunately
the Thrombin cleaves also somewhere inside the fusion protein. I have
been told that the specificity of Thrombin is not too high. Therefore
I currently wonder if I should replace the Thrombin cleavage site with
a recognition sequence for another protease. I wonder which protease
could others recommend? (Factor Xa seems to be common but I have heard
that it often works not very well. What about IgA protease or entero-
kinase?)

Thanks for your help,

--Cornelius.