Protein Software

Leemor leemor at CSHL.ORG
Thu Jul 4 10:40:42 EST 1996

> Dear friends on the net,
>       I'm wondering if there is a software which can determine and make
> graphics of 3D structure of a protein based on its amino acid sequence.
> Thank you in advance for your reply.
>
> Wenjin Yu

A 3D structure of a protein can only be _determined_ using crystallography
or NMR. You could attempt to model a protein based on homology to other
proteins for which 3D structures have been _determined_ by crystallography
or NMR. Ab initio _modelling_ can be done with some degree of success
but by no means is this a structure you can have full confidence in.

                                        Leemor