gel electrophoresis of peptides...

Stephen P. Driska PhD driska at
Fri Jul 12 13:54:42 EST 1996

Thomas Wilkinson (wilkinst at wrote:
: Newsgroups: bionet.molecules.peptides
: Subject: gel electrophoresis of peptides...
: Hello,

: I was wondering if somebody had some experience with SDS gel electrophoresis of
: peptides.  I have a sample that I would like to analyze to see if it contains
: a short (12-residue) peptide, molecular weight = 1462.

: The sample is not some mixture of many species...the sample to be analyzed
: either has the 12-mer, or else the sample contains no peptide whatsoever.  Thus,
: this gel should be really easy to interpret.  I also have a similar sample that
: I would like to analyze for peptide content, except in this case I am looking
: for the presence or absence of a 33-residue peptide (MW = 3487).

: I would like to run these samples out on an SDS gel, and then coomassie-stain.
: My question is that I don't know what the optimal percentage of polyacrylamide
: would be for this task.  What percent gel is best?  Is gel electrophoresis of
: peptides commonly done?  Your suggestions are much appreciated.

: thanks,

: tom
	No experience with anything like that, but I would recommend Novex
 (800)456-6839, a company that sells equipment and supplies including
precast gels
using the tris-tricine gel system that claims to be able to resolve
 peptides about as small as those you mention.  Good luck

Steve Driska, Physiology Department, Temple University Medical School
Philadelphia, PA 19140 USA (215) 707-3283
driska at
If I could think of something witty and clever to say, it would go right