Tryptic digest problems

kevin.bailey at nottingham.ac.uk kevin.bailey at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 31 10:35:30 EST 1996

In article <01bb7e20$2afd09a0$5d715380 at UT.cc.utexas.edu>, "Brett S.
Phinney" <brettsp at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
(main part of post deleted)

> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Thanks a lot in advance
> --
> Brett Phinney
> Cell Research Institute
> University of Texas, Austin

	This sounds pretty weird. I know that logically you should believe the
gel, but from experience I would say that the HPLC results are more
reliable (ie you don't have a complete digest). It is possible that you are
getting some cleavage which results in, initially, two main fragments. One
of these may then be further degraded into a number of peptides, but if the
other one for some reason was not you would indeed see no original MW bands
on the gel but on HPLC would see one main peak and a lot of other smaller
ones. Does this make sense? if you wish to give more details on the
protein(s) involved please e-mail me and I'll try to be of more use.