DNA rearrangement in ciliate

Lauren Brown yu108044 at laurel.yorku.ca
Fri Mar 8 14:33:39 EST 1996

	Hello, I am an undergrad working on my honours thesis at York U
TO.  I am trying to identify a protein - DNA binding interaction thought to
 be invovled in a developmentally programmed DNA rearrangement,
occuring in the holotrichous ciliate Tetrahymena thermophila.  This
rearrangement involves the deletion of an intron element(arbitraly
termed mse2.9) by chromosome breakage and rejoining.  It occurs 12-14hrs
after conjugation (the sexual cycle of the organism), during macronuclear
formation.  To my knowledge, no protein has yet been determined to have
a specific role in DNA deletion events in the ciliates(there are many).
However, my search for current information on this subject is limited to
mid 1995 publications.  If anyone has come across any recent articles on
this subject I would be extremely interested to know.

						Thanks for your time,
						Lauren
						e-mail:  108044 at yorku.ca