What is "N-terminal blockage"?

pgegen at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu pgegen at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Wed Mar 13 00:15:37 EST 1996

In <4hid3l$v0e at pulp.ucs.ualberta.ca>, wklimke at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (William Klimke) writes:
>Certain proteins in prokaryotes are blocked at the N-terminus via
>N-methylphenylalanine.
>>Bill Klimke

?? ALL proteins in Bacteria -- certainly in proteobacteria, cyanobacteria, and chloroplasts -- start with N-Formyl-Meth; i.e. the amino terminus is formylated. In other organisms, the amino terminus can be blocked by reaction (in vivo) with a variety of acids, acetate being the most common. People who sequence proteins for a living tell me that a number of acidic reagents will react with N-termini in vitro.

|  Dr. Peter Gegenheimer         | voice: 913-864-3939    FAX:913-864-5321  |
|  Departments of Biochemistry   | pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu                |
|    and of Botany               | URL: gopher://rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu:70  |
| University of Kansas           | "When you have excluded the impossible,  |
| 2045 Haworth Hall              |  whatever remains, however improbable,   |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106       |  must be the truth."    Sherlock Holmes  |