Isoelectric Points

T. Chyau Liang tliang at utmmg.med.uth.tmc.edu
Mon Mar 18 14:36:17 EST 1996

pI is the average of the two pKa values that link the equilibria between the
(+1 <==>0) and (0 <==> -1) charged states of the protein. In a
hypothetical situation, if one has ionizations of all carboxyl groups
(which have pKa around 4.5) in the negatively charged states and all
arginines (which have pKa around 12.5) on the other side of the
equilibrium, by changing one residue (from Arg to Asp/Glu or Asp/Glu to
Arg), one expect to have a maximal change in pI of 4.0 (half of 12.5-4.5).

T. Chyau Liang, Ph.D.
U. Texas-Houston