origin of kinase

nsaunders at molbiol.ox.ac.uk nsaunders at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 22 04:20:09 EST 1996

Morning,

"Kinase" has the same root as "kinetics", which is from the Greek word meaning
"to move"...I forgot the exact word (still waking up), but it's something like
"kineto", meaning "I move". Sticking -ase on the end...well I don't know where
we get that from, but we use it to signify an enzyme, so I suppose literally
it's "enzyme that promotes motion". Presumably because the phosphate group is
moved from one place to another? Or because phosphate transfers are associated
with motility in cells? As usual, raises more questions than answers.

Neil Saunders

nsaunders at molbiol.ox.ac.uk