"mystery bands" in SDS-PAGE

phillip buckhaults buckhaults at bscr.uga.edu
Fri Mar 29 00:00:33 EST 1996

Fiona M. Mattatall wrote:
> My laboratory is having some problems with bands appearing on our
> SDS-PAGE gels.  The bands always run in the 80 to 100 kDa range.  They
> appear in all lanes of the gel, including those that do not have
> protein samples applied to them.  We have concluded that this
> contamination must be coming from either the sample buffer, running
> buffer, or the apparatus itself.  We are having some difficulty
> figuring out what is causing the problem.  If anyone has seen this in
> their hands or has a solution please let me know.

I assume you are silver staining.
We see these bands with old bME, and not fresh bME. we now make up sample buffer w/o
beta mercaptoethanol, and add it just before using.  it is an artifact of old bME,
and not a protein at all (or so i have been told).

Good luck!

Phillip Joe Buckhaults
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center
Life Science Building, Room B316
University  of  Georgia
Athens Georgia  30602
Phone (706) 542-1701
Fax     (706) 542-1759

"Let us not confuse effort with achievement"