Signal peptide sequence (corrected)

Peter Rice pmr at sanger.ac.uk
Fri May 3 04:48:28 EST 1996

In article <4mc0fs$3oh at woodstock.socs.uts.EDU.AU> Slavica Masina <smasina at uts.edu.au> writes:
>   Does anybody know any methods, preferably recent, for the identification
>   of protein secretory sequences and for prediciting the site of cleavage
>   between a signal sequence and the mature exported protein. I currently
>   have the paper of G. von Heljne (1986) Nucleic acids research, 14(11),
>   but I would prefer computer program that performs the analysis. Can
>   anyone help?

There is a program SIGCLEAVE in EGCG (extended GCG), available from
ftp.sanger.ac.uk in directory pub/pmr/egcg81 (or pub/pmr/egcg81vms for
a VMS savset distribution).

EGCG runs on Unix and VMS systems, and *requires* the GCG Wisconsin package.

SIGCLEAVE implements Gunnar von Heijne's method, as slightly modified
in his excellent book "Sequence Analysis in Molecular Biology:
Treasure Trove or Trivial Pursuit".

There was also an implementation of the method in PC-GENE ....

Peter Rice                           | Informatics Division
E-mail: pmr at sanger.ac.uk             | The Sanger Centre
Tel: (44) 1223 494967                | Hinxton Hall, Hinxton,
Fax: (44) 1223 494919                | Cambs, CB10 1RQ