Concentration of dilute proteins for SDS-PAGE

Lyle Najita ijiwaru at wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri May 3 17:28:24 EST 1996

Joe Stains wrote:

> Does anyone know of any efficient way of concentrating large volumes of
> a dilute protein (several mls) for use with SDS-PAGE?  I have a couple
> of ideas on some techniques, but would be interested in anything anyone
> else may have, as they all have a lot of pros and cons!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Joe StainsMy personal favorite if you aren't particular about
recovering active protein after the gel run is to
precipitate the sample with 0.1x vol. of 100% TCA
solution.  Mix and let sit for 20 min. to O/N and
then pellet.  Rinse the pellet with cold acetone to
remove the residual acid.  You'll know upon
addition of sample buffer with BPB whether you
rinsed thoroughly or not.  Be sure not to let the
pellet get too dry, ie - don't speed-vac the sample
under heat for long periods of time, you may have
problems resuspending the pellet.

Lyle Najita
Plant Pathology
University of California - Davis