Q: Properties of Phospho-cellulose (P11, Whatman)

Randall Willis willis at gandalf.psf.sickkids.on.ca
Mon May 6 07:52:42 EST 1996

Dima,

Unfortunately, what Whatman says is true.  I have worked with P11 off
and on for over 8 years and have found it to be the most intractable
resin on the market.  With no shelf life and very labile active groups,
the reproduceability of the resin from preparation to preparation is
aggravating.

My recommendation would be to find another resin.  If you need a cation
exchanger, try CM cellulose (weak) or sulphopropyl (SP, strong) instead.
I believe that Whatman sells both and I know that Pharmacia sells the SP
in a variety of resin bead types.  If the phosphate is key to your
binding, may I recommend that you generate your own resin.  In our case,
we have affixed phosphotyrosine to CNBr-activate sepharose 4B
(Pharmacia) and use this to purify P-Tyr binding proteins.

It's a drag and I would love it if someone could produce a good
phosphorylated resin but nothing is out there of which I am aware.

Good luck...Randall C Willis           Publisher
            Biochemistry Research      Aliquotes Press
            Hosp for Sick Children     "ALIQUOTES:A Journal of Molecular
            555 University Ave.         and Biochemical Humour"
            Toronto, ON                58 Balfour Ave.
            M5G 1X8   CANADA           Toronto, ON
                                       M4C 1T6   CANADA
            willis at gandalf.psf.
            sickkids.on.ca             rogerb at microsoft.com