Q: Properties of Phospho-cellulose (P11, Whatman)

matt thomas thomas at molbio.uoregon.edu
Mon May 6 13:48:37 EST 1996

I have used P11 for a couple of different purifications (rap74, coli
RNA polymerase, yeast pol I, calf thymus pol II) and I have been able
to store it up to 6 months with no change in eluttion profile or
activity of the prep.  I found if you store it in 200mM Tris pH 7.9 at
4°C (thats right 200 mM, it is not a typo), 1mM EDTA, and NaN3 it
seemes to do ok. Leave out the glycerol so buges don't have a carbon
source. You have to double check the pH before you pour the column
though.  Stick your pH prop right into the slury to do this.

A few time I have used p11 that was older then 6 months stored under
these same conditions and everythign seemed fine, but I only did this
once or twice so I don't want to bet the farm on it.  Is long as you
check the pH and don't overload the column I have had good luck with
this resgin.  It does need to be babied and probably is not the best
thing out there, but if it works why fix it?  :)

Matt Thomas

Thomas at molbio.uoregon.edu

Institue of molecular biology
University of Oregon