Protease activity determination

Richard J. Dudley rdudley at nrc.uab.edu
Tue May 7 09:52:51 EST 1996

No kit that I know of will detect all proteases, but I think Pierce ans
Sigma sell kits that are pretty general.  I have used FITC-labelled BSA
and LEU-methylcoumarinamide in the past, but they are fluorometric.
Azocoll or azocasein is colorometric.  The fluoroscent assays are
simpler.  There are also some peptidase substrates that use
p-nitroaniline, which absorbs at 410 nm as a free product.  I don't have
a lot if info in fron of me, but if you e-mail me and remind me, I can
track my folder down.

Richard J. Dudley
Neurobiology Research Center
University of Alabama School of Medicine