ANNOUNCE- New Bioinformatics server in China (fwd)

ldw ldw at ipc.pku.edu.cn
Tue May 7 07:47:27 EST 1996

Dear Collages,
    We are pleased to announce that the first bioinformatics server in
China has been setup. It is now maintained by Molecular Design Lab,
Institute of Physical Chemistry, Peking University, Beijing, China. At
this  infant stage, it has only mirrored protein related databases, other
databases of molecular biology will soon be mirrored as requested.
    Under the direction of Prof. Luhua Lai, all the mirror work and
database interconnections are implenmented by Mr. Dawei Lin.  The Home
Pages were designed by Mr. Renxiao Wang and Mr. Dawei Lin. The work is
supported by the Chinese National Commision of Science and Technology.
    At present, we are one of three official mirror sites of PDB(Protein
Data Bank) including all the ftp directories and WWW browsing. We are one
of five official SCOP mirror sites. We also mirrored SWISSPROT, PIR,
PROSITE, BLOCKS, but only ftp services can be provided at present. The
PDB  and SCOP mirror sites have been crosslinked for the convenient use
of local people.  Also a public molecular graphics software-Rasmol is
attached to the databases. Users in China and nearby coutries or areas
may find this server helpful.
     We would like to thank all the people who give us help and valuable
suggestions and specail thanks to Prof. Joel L. Sussman,  Prof. Enrique
Abola, Prof. Jaime Prilusky, Dr. Dave Stampf,  Dr. Nancy O. Manning for
the help in setting up PDB mirror site, to Dr. Steven Brenner and
Prof. Tim Hubbard for the help in setting up SCOP mirror site, to  Prof.
Amos Bairoch for the help in setting up SwissProt mirror site.

 The useful URLs related to the bioinformatics server are:
   The first China bioinformatics server home page:
    http://www.ipc.pku.edu.cn/mirror/mirror.html
   The home page of Institute of Physical Chemistry, Peking University:
    http://www.ipc.pku.edu.cn/
   The PDB mirror site page:
    http://www.ipc.pku.edu.cn/npdb/index.html
   The SCOP mirror site page:
    http://www.ipc.pku.edu.cn/scop/
 The anonymous ftp server name of IPC is:
     ftp.ipc.pku.edu.cn
 Suggestions and encouragements are welcome at lai at ipc.pku.edu.cn

             Ph.D student of
          Molecular Design Lab
      Institute of Physical chemistry
            Peking University
              Beijing 100871
                  CHINA
  Phone: 86-10-2751490  Fax:   86-10-2751725
  Email: ldw at pschnetware.pku.edu.cn
         ldw at ipc.pku.edu.cn