Small molecules & nitrocellulose

Dom dominicf at jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
Tue May 7 21:10:20 EST 1996

On 7 May 1996, Louis Hom wrote:

> Date: 7 May 1996 17:10:37 GMT
> From: Louis Hom <lhom at nature.berkeley.edu>
> Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.proteins, bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts, sci.chem
> Subject: Small molecules & nitrocellulose
>
> I'm looking to remove proteins from a small volume of a complex biological
> mixture (too small for ultrafiltration, IMHO) and I'm thinking maybe I
> could wet a piece of nitrocellulose and stick it into my sample to do the
> job.  But I'm wondering, what might the nitrocellulose remove besides the
> intended proteins?
> --

You are going to get a mixture of adsorbate on the surface of that
nitrocellulose.  You need somthing to specifically bind the protein you
want.  If there is an antibody for the protein you're after then think
about useing it to adsorb the analyte on your nitrocellulose. If that is
not possible you might also be able to electrophorese your sample if the
analyte is of a known molecular weight.