Colloidal Gold Protein Stain

Dima Klenchin klenchin at macc.wisc.edu
Fri May 10 09:28:26 EST 1996

In article <319323F0.3996 at igmors.u-psud.fr>, Mark Blight <BLIGHT at igmors.u-psud.fr> wrote:

#Does anybody know where I can obtain a colloidal gold protein stain?
#I once thought that I saw it in a publicity flyer from Pierce but
#it does not seem to be in their catalogues.
#I need to stain proteins following migration in SDS-PAGE with a
#very high sensitivity (better than silver and without the drawbacks).
#I have a protein that stains very poorly with Coomassie, amido black and
#silver (not so good, huh?) and would like a stain that is not dependent
#upon protein composition (charged residues etc) - maybe aimed at the
#peptide bond. I believe that the colloidal gold stain does this and so
#am desperate to get some!

Many companies should carry it (it's such an easy and inexpensive thing
to prepare and sells for so much more :-)). Bio-Rad has it for sure.
You are going to stain blots, not gels, right? Gold won't enter gel...

- Dima