Colloidal Gold Protein Stain

Mark Blight BLIGHT at
Fri May 10 06:09:36 EST 1996

Hello out there,

Does anybody know where I can obtain a colloidal gold protein stain?

I once thought that I saw it in a publicity flyer from Pierce but
it does not seem to be in their catalogues.

I need to stain proteins following migration in SDS-PAGE with a
very high sensitivity (better than silver and without the drawbacks).

I have a protein that stains very poorly with Coomassie, amido black and
silver (not so good, huh?) and would like a stain that is not dependent
upon protein composition (charged residues etc) - maybe aimed at the
peptide bond. I believe that the colloidal gold stain does this and so
am desperate to get some!

Any help or other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Mark A. Blight,
Institut de Génétique et Microbiologie,
CNRS URA N°1354,
Bâtiment 409,
Université de Paris XI,
91405 Orsay cedex,

Tel: (+33 1) 69 41 66 99
Fax: (+33 1) 69 41 78 08
e-mail: blight at
"A good scientist is a funded scientist."