Proteins which run high on SDS-PAGE

sam simons simonssp at pfizer.com
Wed May 8 08:15:56 EST 1996

Prolines introduce natural "kinks" in the protein which aren't
straightened out by denaturing. Since denaturing in SDS creates linear
polypeptides, this bending will give a larger stokes radius to the
protein which will cause it to run slower through SDS-PAGE. This is
especially true if the prolines are concentrated in one stretch as it
will tend to bend the polypeptide farther out of line. There may also be
a charge effect if the SDS can't coat the extra surfaces as efficiently,
but I'm not sure about that. We had the same situation with a protein in
my last lab. Once you've ruled out post-translational modification, you
just have to live with the difference.

Sam

In case any of you are lawyers, here's the disclaimer,
My opinion, not Pfizer's