Proteins which run high on SDS-PAGE

sam simons simonssp at pfizer.com
Mon May 13 13:46:27 EST 1996

I believe that the "kinks" introduced by proline would create a larger
apparent size in three dimensions. A long rod would be relatively thin
in the third dimension. Of course this is dependent on the rigidity of
an SDS bound, linearized polypeptide. This could also explain why
multiple prolines in a domain would have more effect than one or a few
spread through the protein as it would tend to give a more extensive
deviation into the third dimension. As I said before, I'm not sure how
much may be due to charge distribution differences, they could be
significant. I would also point out that Enrique Jose Labadan Frio
described this in much better biophysical terms in his reply. He may
also be suggesting that rigidity introduced into the structure by the
prolines may inhibit movement through a gel.

Sam

Pfizer assumes no responsibility for statements I make, be they lucid or
no.