Zn fingers in protein-protein interaction

Andrew Wallace bcg0197 at queens-belfast.ac.uk
Mon May 13 08:08:38 EST 1996

In article <4n73ve$2do at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, "Elisabetta, tel.+39-6-91093434" <BIANCHI at irbm.it> writes:
> Peter Hohenstein writes:
> Somebody once told me that Zn fingers not only have DNA binding activity,
> but that they can also be involved in protein-protein interactions.
> However, I cannot find any references on this. Does anybody have any clues on this?
>

> ---------------
>
> In J.Mol.Biol. (1995) 247, 154-160. A conformationally homogeneous combinatorial peptide library.
> An helical peptide library was produced by randomising five positions in the
> alfa-helical portion of a 26 amino acid Cys2His2 zinc finger motif.
> The library was screened with a monoclonal IgA and the ligands selected were structurally invariant with respect to the parent zinc finger.
> So this is the case where a single zing finger and especially its helical portion is involved in protein-protein interaction with an IgA.
>
> Elisabetta Bianchi
> IRBM P. Angeletti
> Italy

Furthermore, the Zn finger motif turns up in steroid hormone
      receptors to provide the protein-protein interaction which
      dimerises the receptor, whilst the other Zn finger domain of
      the molecule binds DNA. Any good recent review should be able
      to turn up this kind of information for you.
      Andrew Wallace, Ph.D.
      School of Biology and Biochemistry
      The Queen's University of Belfast
      97 Lisburn Road                         Tel. +44-1232-335786
      Belfast BT9 7BL                         Fax  +44-1232-236505
      Northern Ireland (UK)         a.wallace at queens-belfast.ac.uk