Post-doc in computational chemistry, Canberra, Australia

Andrew Torda torda at rsc.anu.edu.au
Tue May 14 00:07:01 EST 1996

POST DOCTORAL POSITION
in Canberra, Australia with Andrew Torda

Each year, the Research School of Chemistry at the
Australian National University has a series of post-doctoral
fellowships awarded on a competitive basis. Applications for
the current round will be taken until about June 1, 1996.

There are positions in several groups.

The research group of Andrew Torda is oriented towards
biomolecular calculation and simulation. We are working in
areas such as low-resolution (protein fold recognition) force
fields, refinement of experimental structures using MD
simulation and lattice models of protein-lipid interactions.
All the projects in the group involve coding - not just
applications.  It would be an advantage to have a reasonable
knowledge of data structures and algorithms and programming
experience in a civilized language (not fortran).

Currently, possible projects would be centred around some new
algorithms for aligning amino acid sequences to structures,
based on the force fields we have developed.  We are also
looking at protein fold classification using topological and
graph theory methods.
Projects are negotiable.

Salary is about A$38 000/year, initially for two years with a
possible extension to a third year. The university will
provide return air-fares to successful candidates and
family. There is a housing office to help find accommodation.

The Research School of Chemistry is part of the Institute of
Advanced Studies which runs special research schools, in
parallel to the normal teaching schools, and without any
undergraduate teaching duties. The university is in the centre
of Canberra (the nation's capital).

Given the research orientation of the school, there is a
lively academic environment. We have close contacts with the
school's other theoretical groups in statistical mechanics,
quantum chemistry and chemical physics. From the point of view
of experimental groups, we maintain close ties to the school's
NMR, X-ray crystallography and molecular biology groups.

For further information about the possible projects of
interest to the Torda group, contact Andrew Torda directly
(Andrew.Torda at anu.edu.au) or slow mail:
        Andrew Torda,
        Research School of Chemistry
        Australian National University
        ACT, 0200
        Australia
or even fax: +61-6-249 0750

For information about the other groups and application forms,
email the school secretary directly at
    schlsec at rsc.anu.edu.au
and ask for a post-doctoral application pack to be mailed to
you.

To have a look at an uninformative home page with a
low-resolution and uninteresting (but obligatory) photo, point
your browser at
       http://rsc.anu.edu.au/~torda
For the school's home page:
       http://rsc.anu.edu.au/Home.html