Product binding sites on proteins

Andrew Wallace bcg0197 at
Tue May 14 05:57:36 EST 1996

In article <4m5n63$73q at>, tschantz at (William P. Tschantz) writes:
> Hi
> I am looking for examples of proteins which have two product binding
> sites (the same product) if such a protein exists.  For example a protein
> which has one binding site where the product is formed and then is
> transferred to a second site on the enzyme.  I know this sounds kind of
> weird but i am trying to make sense of the data i have.  The only way i
> can explain it is if there is a second site present on the enzyme.  I can
> think of no examples except for ribosomes, which is not quite what i am
> looking for.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Bill

      I'm not an enzymologist but as far as I remember the enzymes
      involved in fatty acid metabolism do something of this kind.
      Also, the plant/bacterial enzymes involved in carbon and
      nitrogen fixation might be other examples worth considering.
      Have a look in a biochemistry textbook such as Stryer or
      Lehninger, or Alan Fersht's book Enzyme Structure and
      Mechanism, you will probably find what you're looking for.

      Hope this helps you.

      Andrew Wallace, Ph.D.
      School of Biology and Biochemistry
      The Queen's University of Belfast
      97 Lisburn Road                         Tel. +44-1232-335786
      Belfast BT9 7BL                         Fax  +44-1232-236505
      Northern Ireland (UK)         a.wallace at