protein compendium?

Mick Partis mick.partis at hri.ac.uk
Fri May 17 03:29:07 EST 1996

ez045181 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu (Kathryn Weiss) wrote:
>I'm looking for some sort of compendium or encyclopedia of protein amino
>acid compositions, something that will list the amino acid composition.
>Does anyone know of a reference text or a database that will provide this
>information?  I am looking at some proteins isolated from plants, and would
>like to compare their composition with other proteins; I also would like
>to construct model systems with commercially available proteins with
>similar amino acid compositions.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kathryn Weiss
>Department of Viticulture and Enology
>University of California, Davis

If you want to compare amino acid compositions, you could try a query to
SWISSPROT at EXPASY:  AACompSim (http://expasy.hcuge.ch/ch2d/aacsim.html)
compares the amino acid composition of a SWISS-PROT entry with all other
SWISS-PROT entries in order to find proteins with the closest amino
acid compositions and AACompIdent
(http://expasy.hcuge.ch/ch2d/aacompi.html) searches SWISS-PROT for
proteins whose amino acid compositions are closest to the amino
acid composition given.

I hope that everyone who uses SWISSPROT has mailed their support to Amos
Bairoch following his post about the funding problem.

Mick
--
Mick.Partis at HRI.AC.UK         Horticulture Research International
Tel: 01789-470382