using PEG to concentrate proteins

Mick Partis mick.partis at hri.ac.uk
Fri May 17 03:08:28 EST 1996

rbb at world.std.com (robert b burrows) wrote:
>I have been using PEG (Aquacide III, Calbiochem) to concentrate protein
>solutions. I have placed the solution in a dialysis bag and buried it in
>solid Aquacide. Now I hear that there may be impurities in the Aquacide
>that can diffuse into the protein solution. Does anyone know what these
>these impurities are, and if they can be removed by gel filtration?
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>Robert Burrows
>rbb at world.std.com

Can't help on the impurities in Aquacide (although I have also heard that
there may be problems of this sort).  I routinely use sephadex in the
same way to concentrate material in dialysis bags.  The sephadex can be
recycled by washing in water, followed by several changes of methanol,
and drying in a warm oven.

--
Mick.Partis at HRI.AC.UK         Horticulture Research International
Tel: 01789-470382