peptides for antibody production

Rosemary T. Hoffman rth at netdoor.com
Sun May 19 11:24:25 EST 1996

There is an article on this in Methods in Enzymology as well as others by
Tam, who first developed the MAP technique (multigenic anti??? peptide).

Basically (no pun intended), you want to select sequence from a region of
the protein which is likely to be surface-exposed.  It is helpful if there
are several similarly-charged amino acids, possibly helping to maintain an
extended (exposed) conformation.  You also may want to avoid regions with
potentially glycosylated sites since 1)sugar moieties tend to be highly
antigenic (and would be absent from the peptide) and 2) the sugars would
block the underlying peptide from being seen by the anti-peptide antibody
if it were shown the native protein

There are no guarantees, luck may be an important factor.  However, these
rules may help you select a peptide.  I also tried applying
several methods to predict secondary structure to the region of the protein
that my peptide came from and then tried predicting the structure of the
peptide alone.  When both came out having the same structure, I felt more
confident.  (My peptide worked, BTW.  4/19/96 JBC if you're curious.)

Good luck-

Rosemary Hoffman, Ph.D.
Infectious Diseases
Univ. Mississippi Medical Center