Antibody nomenclature

RAB fhoedem at oci.utoronto.ca
Mon May 20 19:02:36 EST 1996

In article <1996May20.103007.18684 at leeds.ac.uk>, bmbrl at biovax.leeds.ac.uk
writes:
> I was wondering if anyone out there knows how best to describe
> antibodies raised to synthetic peptides.  I know that the
> general description is site-directed or anti-peptide antibodies but I
> am trying to come up with a brief description which encapsulates
> the advantages of using these antibodies.
> Basically, they are polyclonal antibodies but as they are raised
> to discrete regions of the protein of interest (in my case
> approx. 15 residues) they can
>  be considered to recognise a single antigenic determinant. Therefore,
> I call them "monospecific polyclonal antibodies".  However, somebody
> has pointed out the possible confusion this generates, as it implies
> the antibodies recognise an antigen that is present in only a
> single species of animal (monospecific). Would "monovalent
> polyclonal antibodies" be a better description?? Thanks in advance
> Rob

You have to be very careful with a term like monospecific or monvalent. Your
antibodies are raised to a single peptide epitope, but such a peptide is
generally linked to a carrier in a rather non-specific way. (I don't know how
you did it.) The end result can be a pool of antibodies with different
affinities, maybe even recognizing different conformations of your peptide.
The carrier shoudn't be immunogenic, but you never know if you don't have just
a little bit of crossreactivity. To be on the safe side, just call them what
they are: polyclonal antibodies.

Flip