Antibody nomenclature

bmbrl at biovax.leeds.ac.uk bmbrl at biovax.leeds.ac.uk
Mon May 20 05:30:07 EST 1996

I was wondering if anyone out there knows how best to describe antibodies
raised to synthetic peptides.  I know that the general description is
site-directed or anti-peptide antibodies but I am trying to come up with a
brief description which encapsulates the advantages of using these antibodies.
Basically, they are polyclonal antibodies but as they are raised to discrete
regions of the protein of interest (in my case approx. 15 residues) they can
 be considered to recognise a single antigenic determinant. Therefore, I call
them "monospecific polyclonal antibodies".  However, somebody has pointed out
the possible confusion this generates, as it implies the antibodies recognise
an antigen that is present in only a single species of animal (monospecific).
Would "monovalent polyclonal antibodies" be a better description??
Thanks in advance
Rob