Cathepsin B & Synthetic Substrates

T. Chyau Liang tliang at utmmg.med.uth.tmc.edu
Wed May 29 04:05:01 EST 1996

>   It is much easier to synthesise alpha-N-acyl-Arg derivatives than the
> corresponding Lys ones-because of acylation of epsilon NH2 as well as alpha
> NH2.

True and this may be the historical reason (I guess??) why Acy-Arg
derivatives are often used.  Fortunately, nowadys you can buy either alpha
or epsilon protected Lys and let other people worry about the synthtic
difficulty.

I think the following point is probably more important. One example is
thrombin, which prefers Arg to Lys at P1 by a factor of 100 or larger. On
the other hand, plasmin prefers Lys to Arg at P1.