Specificity of Endoproteinase Asp-N

Marcus, Dr J. J.Marcus at botany.uq.edu.au
Mon Nov 11 17:34:49 EST 1996

Dear Kali,

You wrote:

> I am looking for something to specifically cleave at Cys residues.  I
> am aware of Endoproteinase Asp-N which cleaves at Aspartic acid also.
> Does anyone know of anything I could use? I am looking forward to your
> great ideas.
> Thanks for the help, Kali

If you are really desparate you might try modifying Cys
residues with iodoacetamide.  Once modified, I think it
allows trypsin to cleave at that position (maybe not
efficiently but you should get some cleavage).  You would
have to modify both arginines and lysines (see Pierce
catalog) so that they are not susceptible to trypsin
cleavage.  A bit of work, but if you are desparate, it
might work.

Hope that helps.

John

John Marcus            Marcus at tpp.uq.edu.au (Dr J.Marcus)
Cooperative Research Centre for Tropical Plant Pathology
5th Level John Hines Building
University of Queensland
St. Lucia, QLD 4072
AUSTRALIA