EPOGEN and PROCRIT

John Philo jphilo at amgen.com
Mon Nov 11 11:46:51 EST 1996

933467u at app_science.rgu.ac.uk wrote:

> I understand that EPOGEN is given to dialysis patents and PROCRIT is
> given to people suffering from cancer and HIV / AIDS.  Can anyone tell me
> if there's any difference between these drugs at the molecular level?
>
> As they're given to different classes of patient, I assume that they're
> different drugs?  On the other hand it MIGHT be that due to some legal
> ruling, the manufacturers of the drugs (Amgen and Ortho Biotech) have
> been told to stick to seperate areas of the market. If this is the case,
> perhaps their products have different names simply to help people
> differentiate?  In effect, one drug has been given two names???

EPOGEN and PROCRIT are identical at the molecular level. Ortho provided
financial support to Amgen for the development of erythropoietin as a
therapeutic. In return, they obtained licensing rights to market the
drug for all indications in the U.S. other than kidney dialysis.

In fact, fairly often hospital pharmacies only carry one of these two
products, so PROCRIT can end up being used in dialysis patients or
EPOGEN in AIDS patients.  The two companies have a agreement on how to
compensate each other for such "out of market" sales.

John Philo, Protein Chemistry
Amgen Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA
jphilo at amgen.com
*** Disclaimer: These are the opinions of the poster not Amgen Inc.***