Specificity of Endoproteinase Asp-N

Ruediger Hornig hornig at bc.biol.ethz.ch
Tue Nov 12 10:54:04 EST 1996

In article <32879636.652B at vt.edu>, kkniel at vt.edu wrote:

> I am looking for something to specifically cleave at Cys residues.  I
> am aware of Endoproteinase Asp-N which cleaves at Aspartic acid also.
> Does anyone know of anything I could use? I am looking forward to your
> great ideas.
> Thanks for the help, Kali

Dear Kali

A chemical way of cleaving a protein before C is cutting with NTCB. The
procedure requires complete denaturation in SDS and reduction of all
sulfhydryl side chains with DTT. Contrary to Asp-N and the proposed
Iodoacetamide extension of C, it's pretty easy and specific.

Hope this helps

Ruedi

   _/        _/    _/    _/    Biochemie II
  _/_/_/    _/    _/_/_/_/    Rüdiger Hornig (hornig at bc.biol.ethz.ch)
 _/        _/    _/    _/    Universitaetstr. 16, ETH Zentrum
_/_/_/_/  _/    _/    _/    CH-8092 Zurich (Switzerland)
                           Phone: +41 1 632 3007  FAX: +41 1 632 12 69

         http://www.bc.biol.ethz.ch/BiochemistryII/BioII.html