Streaking on nitrocellulose and PVDF membranes

Demeke, Tigst tdemeke at pbi.nrc.ca
Mon Nov 18 09:13:07 EST 1996

I consistently get streaks on my western blots.  Some of the streaks start
from top and continue to the bottom of the gel or stop somewhere in the
middle, while others start from the middle or even lower and continue for
either long distance or short distance.  I have tried the following:
decreasing the amount of protein loaded, reducing the current, lowering the
concentration of primary and secondary antibodies, filtering and degassing
of acrylamide/bisacrylamide solution, filtering the loading dye, thoroughly
cleaning the plates with detergent and water, washing the wells with DDH2O.
 I still get streaks.  Do you have any suggestions to get rid off the nasty
streaks?
Tigst
Tdemeke at pbi.nrc.ca