Protein binding to eppendorf/cuvette walls.

THE GREEK pxpst2 at vms.cis.pitt.edu
Wed Nov 20 10:53:51 EST 1996

In article <56utcd$63a at mercury.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk>, qi bao
<q-bao at nimr.mrc.ac.uk> wrote:

/> Hi
/> I am working with a protein that seems to bind strongly to the
/> walls of eppendorfs and cuvettes.
/> If I put a certain concentration of protein into one of these vessels
/> then remove it, the concentration is reduced considerably, (no
/> precipitation observed).
/>
/> Has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem?
/>
/> Anyone got any good ideas how I can get around this?
/>
/> The data that I am trying to get does not allow me to try using
/> other non-specific proteins in the vessels.
/>
/> Also, I know that siliconising the walls may be a solution but
/> presumeably when doing this the extent of siliconisation from tube
/> to tube will vary and may affect the reproduciblity of results.
/>
/> Any ideas will be gratefully received (e-mail or newsgroup or both)

I would guess that your protein is capable of binding extracellular matrix.
A good test of this premise is to see if your protein binds heparin.
If you want to block the bindind then you must block the OH groups on the
plastic.  This can be done with comercially availible product from sigma
It is called Sigmacoyte.
Peter Pediaditakis pxpst2 at vms.cis.pitt.edu