Why freeze autorads?

Dr. Peter Gegenheimer PGegen at RNAWorld.bio.UKans.edu
Sat Nov 23 03:27:08 EST 1996

In <57008p$1nem at news.doit.wisc.edu>, klenchin at facstaff.wisc.edu writes:
>In article <3293A2DD.6BCF at pt.cyanamid.com>,
>   "S. Silverman" <silvermans at pt.cyanamid.com> wrote:
>->Samuel C. Blackman wrote:
>->>
>->> My labmates and I, obviously with too much time on our hands, were
>->> wondering why we put our 32P-labelled autorads in the freezer at -80C.
//////////////
>->	The absorption and emission properties of the material in
>->intensifying screens depend on temperature.  The screens are more
>->efficient at low temp.  It will take someone with more familiarity with
>->molecular orbital theory than me to give you a more precice reason.
>
>I don't think so. Intensifying screens emit light upon absorption of
>high-energy particles. Light excites silver on film. Freezer is to
>increase sensitivity of latter.

Please see my post under "Re: Re: Why freeze autorads".
It is the screen & not the film which responds; this is experimentally demonstrated.

|  Dr. Peter Gegenheimer       |  Vox: 913-864-3939  FAX: 913-864-5321  |
|  Departments of Biochemistry |    pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu           |
|   and of Botany              |    http://rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu/      |
|  University of Kansas        |                                        |
|  2045 Haworth Hall           |  "The sleep of reason produces         |
|  Lawrence  KS  66045-2106    |   monsters."                  Goya     |