Primary structure of proteins

David S. Gottfried gottfrie at post.aecom.yu.edu
Tue Sep 3 08:28:19 EST 1996

In article <32281FA9.484D at chem.ut.ee>
Andres Kreegipuu <andres at chem.ut.ee> writes:

> I am looking for information about the average occurence frecuency of
> the 20 natural amino acids in proteins. Are these data available
> anywhere?

There is a table in the book "Proteins" (2nd Ed.) by Creighton (Freeman
Publ., 1993) that is taken from an article by McCaldon and Argos
(Proteins, 4:99-122, 1988) who measured frequency in 1021 unrelated
proteins.

Just to whet your appetite for the numbers:  The most common amino acid
is Leucine (9.0%) and the least common is Tryptophan (1.3%).

David S. Gottfried
AECOM - Biophysics
gottfrie at aecom.yu.edu