Bis-tris-propane: temp. coeff. (dpKa/dT) ??

Frank R. Gorga gorga at
Thu Sep 5 11:49:57 EST 1996

Achim Recktenwald wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am looking for the temperature coefficient(s) [dpKa/dT] of the
> buffer-substance
> 'bis-tris-propane' = 1,3-bis[tris(hydroxymethyl)methylamino]propane
> for some enzyme kinetic experiments.

According to the booklet titled "Buffers" which is free for the asking
from Calbiochem (p16)... the delta pKa / deg. C for BIS-TRIS-PROPANE is

The Calbiochem buffer booklet is ESSENTIAL reading for anyone using
buffers and (IMHO) should be reread often!

> According to the supplier (Sigma) it has the pKa-values:
> pKa1=6.8 and pKa2=9.0 at T=25C.
> Sigma doesn't know the dpKa/dT-value(s) either.

Shame on them!

--- Frank

Frank R. Gorga, Ph.D.
Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry