Request info on semi-dry blotters :)

Louis Hom lhom at nature.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 11 16:53:46 EST 1996

I actually was asking these same questions earlier this year;  you might be
able to find some of the responses in the www.bio.net archives.
	I believe semi-dry blotters run *hotter* (higher current) than tank
systems, not colder as suggested by someone else.  In fact, some setups
require high amp power sources (Bio-Rad, e.g., pairs their transfer unit
with a 2 amp source) that you might not have on hand.
	The biggest problems I've heard about are 1) deterioration of
graphite plates after extensive use (on the order of years), 2) blotters
that require a mylar mask (if any are still around) can be a royal pain, 3)
if you work with labeled proteins, make sure the unit is easy to clean
(IMHO, the Bio-Rad unit fails horribly on this point), and 4) try to find a
blotter with an electrode orientation you're comfortable with -- most
blotters out there require you to lay the gel on top of the membrane;  I
happen to prefer laying the more rigid and manageable membrane on top of
the gel.
	In the end, our lab decided to get the semi-dry blotter
manufactured by Owl Scientific.  It's about $600.