Request info on semi-dry blotters :)

Toumy Guettouche tguettou at newssun
Thu Sep 12 13:42:11 EST 1996

Dear Cornelius,

we also do tank blotting in our lab and we do transfers of large gels
(12.5x15cm) which requires at least 20V/1amp when using Towbin buffer. The
transfer unit( Idea Scientific, quiet old) gets therefore hot and has to
be in the coldroom.  Transfer takes 2-3h to get a complete transfer. This
unit might be outdated and there might be better stuff around, so sorry
that I was a little to unspecific about it. On the other hand which buffer
system are you using? I found that a discontinous buffer system (see ref
in 1st msg.) does not heat up the stack too much when used properly
(calculate amperage according to manufacturer, voltage usually around 10V but will
increase to about 15-20V, enough buffer, no air etc.; for my gel size).
As I mentioned before, however, I have no experience with the Biorad semi
dry transfer unit, but with Pharmacias Novablot (graphite) and Hoeffer
TE77 (platinum coated).
I have transfered multiple gels(up to 4 on Pharmacia, two on Hoeffer)
without any problems, when using PVDF membrane, pore size 2um.

Bye
Toumy