Purification of proteins in denaturants

Blake Middleton zaphod at mcimail.com
Mon Sep 16 20:05:22 EST 1996

Does any one have any good suggestions for purifying proteins in
denaturants (e.g.,6M urea, 4M guanidine)?  I have a his-tagged protein
which I've been able purify to a great extent by Ni affinity, but I'd like
to have another chromatographic step.  The protein is only soluble in 6M
urea or 4M guanidine.
Sizing columns work poorly in these buffers and we have not found an
ion-exhange resin to which the protein will bind in these buffers, either.
Thank you.
Blake Middleton        Internet:  zaphod at mcimail.com
MCI ID # 465-2423        Bitnet:  zaphod%mcimail.com at cunyvm.cuny.edu

  "Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word `safe' that I
  wasn't previously aware of."                    --Arthur Dent