TFA and Disulfides

Satish Nair satish at a.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 16 18:12:17 EST 1996

Hello,

I apologize for the naive nature of the following inquiry BUT:  I am
interested in linking together 2 peptides via a disulfide and then selectively
purifying the heterogeneously linked peptides from any homogeneously
linked peptides by reverse phase chromatography.  My question is... will
using TFA as a buffer reduce the disulfides to any appreciable extent
(since it is a good acid, hence a good proton donor)?  If so are there
alternate buffers (preferably denaturing) which can be used?

I realize that this sort of thing is done rather frequently but I could
not come up with an answer based on a cursory literature search.  Thanks
in advance,

satish nair