Stereo viewers

Jim Hutchins hutchins at netdoor.com
Mon Sep 23 19:56:20 EST 1996

Dominique Schaller (dschalle at sc2a.unige.ch) wrote:
: hi,
:
: I am looking for cheap stereo viewers for my students to look at 2-D
: molecular models. Who could provide me with the address of a distributor
: selling to Switzerland. An approximate indication of the price would
: also be appreciated.
:
: Thank you in advance,
:
: C. Bordier
: bordier1 at iprolink.ch

The easiest and cheapest stereo viewer is a pair of child's (toy)
binoculars.  Remove the oculars if present and look through the binocular
tubes *backwards* (i.e., large diameter hole/window towards the eyes) to
use as a stereo viewer.

This idea was published as a letter in _Science_ some years ago, but I
don't have the reference at hand.

It works by uncoupling the images to each of the two eyes.

Jim Hutchins    hutchins at netdoor.com   hutchins at umsmed.edu
http://fiona.umsmed.edu/~hutchins/