light-sensitive peptidase

Serban San-Marina serban at netcom.ca
Fri Sep 27 15:21:11 EST 1996

Message: 79
To: krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de (Cornelius Krasel)
From: Lisa Caroline Lewis <lcl at cs.bu.edu>
Subject: Re: light-sensitive peptidase
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:56:15 -0400

Somehow I don't think bio.hackers was originally intended for the kind
of
discussions that one might see in the sci.bio.* groups, but on the
other
hand, it certainly raises the level of the traffic!  I rather like the
idea
of signal displacing noise in the alt.* groups, and especially to have
trivia displaced by by highly technical, non-computer discussions.
Beware
the attack of the Rogue Biologists!  Coming soon to a newsgroup near
you!

>Louis Hom (lhom at nature.berkeley.edu) wrote:
>> In article <517qvs$p3h at tor-nn1-hb0.netcom.ca>,
>> Serban San-Marina  <serban at netcom.ca> wrote:
>> >Does anyone have information on peptidases that can be either
activated
>> >or inactivated by light? I would appreciate any leads. Thanks!
>>
>> 	I don't know of any light-activated/inactivated peptidases, but
>> it's neat to think about.  It seems likely that there are caging
processes
>> out there for making photo-activatable nucleophilic serines or
cysteines.

>Neat idea.

>You could inactivate metalloproteases by caged EDTA/EGTA. I hear that
>you can buy this stuff.

Interesting...  I've worked with EDTA/EGTA - made the stuff up, in fact
-
but is caged EDTA/EGTA a different form?  Made by some special,
needs-to-be-purchased process?

Cheers,
  Lisa Caroline
  lcl at csa.bu.edu